Friday, January 17, 2014

Hana: Contest

Contest
 
 
Today I entered
The daily contest;
The everlasting competition
That was burning me up.
Because I never won.
 
I walk into school.
Contestant 14 is flipping her hair back constantly
As a blonde strand brushes against her freshly applied lip gloss,
And a groan comes out of her mouth.
 
Contestant 8 is making that cute little pout
That men seem to love now;
She's trying to be cute...
Good grief... What a whiner...
 
He walks down the hall.
He's the beloved prize.
He's what everyone wants.
Except for me.
 
I slowly walk away.
But once he's seen you,
There's no forfeiting.
No disqualification.
 
All of the girls line up,
Smiling.
Flirting.
Faking.
Laughing.
Posing.
Pouting.
 
I try to look away.
Try not to draw attention to myself.
Yet he looks right at me.
And I know why.
 
He sees that girl
That he used to like.
Y'know, when he used to go for
"Real" girls.
He remembers that girl
Who he used to laugh with;
He used to make fun of
Those pouty attention seekers.
The fakers.
But hey.
 
Now he's as fake as anybody.
 
Today I entered
The daily contest,
The hopeless, pointless,
Endless competition.
 
The one that I'm secretly still trying to win...
 
 
 
Once you enter-
Once he sees you-
There's no forfeiting.
No chickening out.
Fine, deal with his bullshit...
 
It's what your brain says.
While your heart tries reminding you
Why you're competing in the first place.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment