Tuesday, December 31, 2013

"Naked" Writing

        Hi guys! Like I said, I love writing. So, lately I've been checking out books on how to write better from the library. And I think I've found a large chunk of the advice that I needed to hear, just from ONE book. Sure you can find books with lots of prompts in them. And those books are GREAT. But I needed something different. I don't need to know what to write. I want to know how to put my ideas down on the page so that each word is alive. Because our thoughts are alive. So the stories and characters that we develop in our brains should still have that liveliness when they transfer to paper. Right? Well, I'm very close to learning how to do just that.
         Ahem. Enough with my rambling; I might as well just tell you the title of the book before I go any further. It's called Write From Life: Turning your personal experiences into compelling stories by Meg Files. She talks about writing with raw emotion... That's what I've dubbed as "naked writing". We can't totally expose ourselves to the public. But what if we can use our raw, naked emotion to expose our characters, based on us or not? What if we go down deep into the core of their heart? Well, as she states, we can only do that if we learn how to reach into our own hearts first. This book was kind of made for adult writers. I'm sure most YOUNG children might not understand, but I do recommend it for even teenagers that may want some early writing advice for pursuing their dream as becoming an author someday. It's a great book.
          We all have the ability to be naked writers, because we're all human. And humans are all imperfect; they all have their problems. But then again, why would you want to write about a perfect world? These imperfections that our society has, our SPECIES has, these things have made great stories. You've probably read it for yourself without recognizing it. So if you DO want to write, and you'd like some advice, there it is: write naked. I'm only 14. I still have a lot to learn as far as... Life. Everything. But I think that the text in that book will enlighten a lot of writers. Some of the exercises are almost like therapy. You get to write down all of your deepest, darkest secrets, then shred them up... It's beautiful.

Maybe you don't see yourself reading it, and that's fine. I just wanted to let you guys ponder this idea for awhile. The idea of bare, messy beauty.

2 comments:

  1. We do sometimes need to get to the nitty-gritty! It's nice to see one so young with a passion for constructive usage of words.

    ReplyDelete